China’s foreign ministry on Monday urged the United States and North Korea to sit down with each other face-to-face and resolve their problems, as tension continues to climb on the Korean peninsula after North Korea’s latest rocket test.
While China was angered by the launch, it has also expressed concern at plans by Washington and Seoul to deploy an advanced U.S. missile defense system, saying it would impact upon China’s own security.
The focus of the nuclear issue on the peninsula is between the United States and North Korea,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a daily news briefing.
“We urge the United States and North Korea to sit down and have communications and negotiations, to explore ways to resolve each other’s reasonable concerns and finally reach the goal we all want reached.”
I Word Understanding
Tension – stress
Impact – crash
Reasonable – rational
II Have your say
1. What are the reasons of these countries for having nuclear weapons?
2. Why can’t the world stop them?
3. What do you know about North Korea’s leader?
4. Why do you think China had strong words for North Korea?
5. Do you think nuclear weapons will be used again in a war?
6. Why is North Korea’s ‘hydrogen bomb’ test such a big deal?
7. What advice do you have for North Korea’s leader?